In 2008, I completed a Ph.D. in Computer Science at UCLA under Professor Rupak Majumdar. In my dissertation, Robust Service Composition, I developed new approaches to ensure the reliability of service-based systems. This involved identifying key correctness properties and enforcing these properties through lightweight verification tools. I addressed four specific issues: lost messages in asynchronous programs, the consistency of long running transactions, reconciliation of access control policies, and the trust by end users of composed applications.
I was a "non-traditional" PhD student - I had worked in industry for ten years before returning to school. This gave me a different perspective regarding which problems are interesting and their solutions, which I tried to reflect in my research work.
- Jeffrey Fischer, Rupak Majumdar, and Shahram Esmaeilsabzali. Engage: A Deployment Management System, Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI '12), June 2012. [abstract] [pdf]
- Jeffrey Fischer, Daniel Marino, Rupak Majumdar, and Todd Millstein. Fine-Grained Access Control with Object-Sensitive Roles, European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP '09), July 2009.
- Jeffrey Fischer and Rupak Majumdar. A Theory of Role Composition, International Conference on Web Services (ICWS '08), September 2008.
- Jeffrey Fischer, Rupak Majumdar, and Francesco Sorrentino. The Consistency of Web Conversations, Automated Software Engineering (ASE '08), September 2008.
- Jeffrey Fischer and Rupak Majumdar. Ensuring Consistency in Long Running Transactions, Automated Software Engineering (ASE '07), November 2007.
- Jeffrey Fischer, Rupak Majumdar, and Todd Millstein. Tasks: Language Support for Event-driven Programming, Partial Evaluation and Program Manipulation (PEPM '07), January 2007.
- Michael Emmi, Jeffrey Fischer, Ranjit Jhala, and Rupak Majumdar. Lock allocation, Principles of Programming Languages, January 2007.
- Jeffrey Fischer, Ranjit Jhala, and Rupak Majumdar. Joining dataflow with predicates, Foundations of Software Engineering, August 2005.
- Jeffrey Fischer and Milos Ercegovac. A component framework for communication in distributed applications, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2000, pp 647-653.
- Jeffrey Fischer, Robust Service Composition, UCLA Computer Science Department, 2008. [pdf]
The documents referenced above are included by the contributing authors as a means to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work on a non-commercial basis. Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or other copyright holders, notwithstanding that they have offered their works here electronically. It is understood that all persons downloading these documents will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright.